Matthias Church

Matthias church holds a special place among the many beautiful churches in Budapest and it is located in the heart of the Castle District. Built in the 13th Century this is the most interesting architectural structure in Hungary because of its stark white exterior crowned with diamond pattern roof tiles and the rich, ornate interior that absolutely dazzles.

The Roman Catholic church, also known as Church of Our Lady, was named after King Matthias, who ruled from 1458-1490. Matthias donated the two grand towers of the church and you’ll find his crest inscripted on the south tower. The structure of the Churchhas been constantly changed and refashioned in the popular architectural style of the era.

In 1541 the Turks captured Buda and turned the Church of Our Lady into the city’s main mosque. Many artifacts were taken away, the beautiful ornate frescos were whitewashed, and interior furnishings were destroyed and discarded. In 1686 during the siege of Buda a wall of the church collapsed due to cannon fire. By the end of the siege in 1686 not much was left and a failed attempt to restore the church in Baroque style was made. It was not until the end of the 19th century that the building regained much of its former beauty, with the help of architect, Frigyes Schulek.

The Church is also home to the Ecclesiastical Art museum. The gallery contains a number of beautiful sacred relics such as old chalices and vestments, it also has medieval stone carvings, along with replicas of the Hungarian royal crown and coronation jewels.

Getting there:
Castle bus (Vár Busz): No. 16 and 16A-116 from Széll Kálmán tér (termini
of trams 4,6, M2 metro also stops there)

Opening Hours:
Mon-Fri: 9.00-17.00
Sat: 9.00-12.00
Sun: 13.00-17.00

Entrance Fees:
adult: 750 HUF
students, pensioners: 500 HUF
children (up to 6 years of age): free
family ticket: (1-2 adults +children): 1250 HUF

Sights around Matthias Church in Budapest

Tours on which you will see the Matthias Church

Powered by WordPress and MasterTemplate